Sunday, August 12, 2007

Work Today

As Flanders started to say in the Simpsons Movie, "The good Lord is telling me to confess! To a modest sense of pride in our community!" I am here to confess to a modest sense of pride at how awesome my work shift was today. Okay, so I don't really think being happy about my work is a sin, but I wanted to talk about it but my blog is titled forgiveness. :-P

I was checker from 2:30 to 11:00, and I was wearing my confusing shorts (they're just regular shorts, but they have all sorts of absolutely pointless straps hanging out in the pockets, which confuses me as to why they are there), and I also had on my "BFFs" t-shirt from Threadless.

I walked around watching movies for a while, as per my job description, then I went into the concessions area to get some popcorn and soda. While there, I noticed that in the candy spot right next to the butter dispenser, there was an entire stack of Kit Kat bars, eleven to be precise. Now, no one is supposed to put candy there because it is hot from the butter warmer and that melts the candy. There's even a large sign right next to the candy spot telling you not to put candy there. These Kit Kat bars were pretty much mush, so we couldn't sell them to the customers. They got put into the back refrigerator for managers and projectionists to eat (which I indulged in one of the bars later that night).

I then decided I wanted to stop this problem once and for all. So, I grabbed a cardboard box, found some duct tape and scissors, and started building a cardboard box insert to put in that candy slot so no one could use it. This took me about a half an hour of good old architectural fun, and the box fit perfectly. I was so impressed with myself. "Jury-rigging" is one of my favorite words, and for a good reason. I love making my own solutions to problems.

Then they sent me on break once I finished that box, and I went home and had some spaghetti, cheesy bread, and some strawberries and cantaloupe. I came back to work, and I was told to watch the Rush Hour 3 theatre, because the managers expected there might be problems. I got to stand there and watch the whole movie, and I only had to tell one person to put his cell phone away. It was pretty cool.

Then I got to have my work shift extended by helping one of my fellow projectionists count and close up shop for the night. Then I went home. So, for the price of about one hour of actual work, I was paid for about nine. Life is good.

1 comment:

Amanda R said...

*decides to move into theater* lol